Monday, April 13, 2009

Ed is BACK



Three years ago, Kyle wanted a red-ear slider. A slider is a turtle. I did not want a turtle, so I told Kyle that if he did some research, we would talk again. So for three months he studied and researched and learned all there was to learn about red-ear sliders. Finally, I gave in and we went to the pet store to buy all the equipment and get the little turtle. Kyle named him Ed. On the way home with the turtle safely in his hands, Kyle mentions that turtles live for 40 years in captivity. I assured him that when he got home from his mission the turtle would be going to college with him and he better find a wife that loves turtles.
Over the next two years, Ed just got bigger and bigger. He ate everthing, including all his tank mates. He was very aggressive and would happily eat your finger. I really didn't love him. Turtles are really just pond pigs. They are messy and not cuddley. Why anyone would want a turtle for a pet, I don't know. Anyway, last August, Kyle got the great idea to put Ed in our little pond in the front yard. He stayed there for four days with no problems. Then, on the fifth day, I saw him in the morning but we never saw him again. Oh too bad, Ed ran away from home. I never wanted anything bad to happen to Ed because he was very entertaining, devouring fish and grasshoppers and slurping up worms. Kyle was just trying to give him a change of scenery.
Yesterday, Emily was watching the pond and she said she saw a big frog. We put tadpoles in there last summer so that didn't surprise me. Then she started screaming that she saw ED!! I didn't believe her. Then Christopher went outside with her and said he saw that darn turtle too.
I watched today and guess what??? Ed is BACK. Actually, he never left. He just lived in the pond and hid in the rose bushes and hibernated nicely over the winter. They wake up mid March to mid April. We will just leave him in the pond and see what happens. I am glad to know that he is still alive and well!!

No comments: