Monday, January 5, 2009

One Perfect Day


Stephanie gave a great lesson in Relief Society yesterday. It was about tuning out the world and tuning in your family. I was sitting there thinking about what we could do to tune in more to our family. I came up with no-screen Sundays. This means on Sunday, we will not watch movies or tv. There will be no blog checking or spider solitare. No playstation. Just us. I made my family a nice brunch and then I proposed this crazy scheme. Probably lots of people all ready do this. I must say that my favorite thing to do on Sunday is pile everyone on our bed and watch a movie together. So this plan is going to be hard for me. Also, I can't go to sleep at night without listening to a movie. I think I must have some sleep disorder. If the tv isn't on, my mind will not go to sleep. I just keep thinking and planning and worrying about silly things. With the tv on, I am out in less than 5 minutes. So back to our day. Everyone somewhat reluctantly agreed. We played Quiddler and I laughed so hard my ribs hurt and tears were running down my face. Then Emily suggested the Corn on the Cob game. After a bit of investigating, we realized she was talking about Pit. So we played a few rounds of that game. We did a small family service project. I put curlers in both of the girls hair. Michael read his new fishing magazine and had a nap. We all went to bed at a reasonable time. And I even went to sleep to the sweet sounds of Norah Jones. Now I am not so delusional to think that every Sunday will be like this. But it was One Perfect Day.

4 comments:

Maria said...

I think everyone needs to hear that lesson. Way to take action and do something about it. You have so many great ideas, I love hearing what you have to say.

Kim Davis said...

Oohh, no bloging on Sunday. Deven would love that! I am glad you all had a great time.

Jodi said...

What a wonderful idea. We tried to have a no screen Sunday. Well, I tried to have a no screen Sunday, and the compromise was no tv before church. That worked wonderfully until church started at 3 pm. I hope you have more support than I did. :)

Steph said...

Hey I just found your blog! Love that you are a blogger too. I needed that lesson too (a lot) which is why I picked it.

Cute family picture! Our blog is private but I will send you an invite to it. :)