Friday, May 15, 2009

Ummmm......How did this happen?







So, I guess we are chicken farmers. Michael and I were talking about food storage and I was complaining about powdered eggs. He said the way to solve the problem was by getting a few laying hens. I went to D&B and after waiting for two hours, (chickens are very popular right now), I told Michael to just stop by the Nampa store. He said why not just go to the hatchery. Why didn't I think of that? Ten minutes later he walked out with some chickens. I just wanted a couple.I had Michael get some extra to cover any tragic deaths. However, standing with 50 people waiting for chickens for two hours, you learn some things. I learned what a pullet was. I learned how to feed and take care of your chickens. Some guy also told me that chickens have a high mortality rate. Not so. Or maybe it's just that we take such good care of them, they wouldn't dare die. Needless to say, we have more than I want. I wanted to send some to Parma to live on a little farm. However, now the sweet things are named and loved by a certain cute 10 year old. Emily takes very good care of them. Michael built a great chicken coop complete with a sliding door and functioning widows. I'm sure in about 2 months I will be grateful for the eggs, but there is no way we are going to be able to use all of them. Anyone want some nice fresh brown eggs??!!

3 comments:

Maria said...

That is so awesome! I have been researching getting chickens. Not sure what the neighbors will say, but I was thinking the same thing about food storage and eggs. I will have to ask you all my burning questions about chickens now that you are pros!

Mike & Andrea said...

I loved having our chickens when we lived in Star, I love fresh eggs. I wish we could have them here. Do you think you could mail me some?

Sandra Winchester said...

Wow, its little heart warming story's like this that make me miss Star so very much. The rooster crowing int the a.m. ducks taking flight from the ditch in the middle of town. Michael cleaning his 44 mag. while playing cards. Wow Iam feeling the love. Miss ya'all. PW.